Friday, February 12, 2016

This Week in Patterns (And Other News) (12-Feb-2016)

So of course, the next week after I decide that I'm going to scale back my pattern roundup posts, due to releases slowing down, we actually get a fairly interesting crop of new patterns. Enjoy!

Panic on the Streets of London

Before I launch into the patterns, I just want to give a heads up that my husband and I will be taking our first child-free vacation fairly soon and staying in London for a week. We'll have TripAdvisor and Rick Steves to help us out, but we welcome any suggestions/recommendations. We're staying in the Earl's Court neighborhood ("Do you smile...when you think about Earl's Court?"), and yes, there will be fabric shopping and a trip to the V&A. I've been to London before, but it's been 15 years since my last visit, and I wasn't sewing yet on that last trip.

New Patterns

After a fairly big lull in indie releases for the past month or so, we've got five new releases this week--all indies:
  • By Hand London
  • Grainline Studios
  • HotPatterns
  • Paprika Patterns
  • StyleArc
By Hand London: Sarah Shirt

I will easily admit that my personal aesthetic and By Hand London's typical party dress aesthetic are usually miles apart...but I think that this shirt is actually really cute. And it's a separate! Obviously, you'd need a really drapey fabric to avoid the tent effect on this, but overall, I think it's a cutesy shirt that isn't vomit inducingly twee.

BHL -Sarah Shirt

Grainline Studios: Archer Popover Expansion pack

I love the trend of "expansion packs" that we've been seeing recently with indie patterns. What a great way to get more mileage out of a pattern that you've already worked out the fit for, right?

Popover-style shirts have been pretty popular in women's RTW for the past few years, and I don't see any reason for them to go away any time soon, especially given the 90's influence that's been popular in fashion and will probably remain so. There have been a few tutorials floating around online on how to turn a traditional button-down shirt into a popover style, but the Archer expansion pack is reasonably priced and eliminates the drafting work of doing it yourself. Plus, it includes traditional tower-style sleeve plackets--a modification that many people ended up making to their Archers, anyway. If I had ever gotten around to fitting the Archer, I'd be all over this.


Grainline - Archer popover expansion
HotPatterns: Athleisure Layer Cake tee

HotPatterns' latest top pattern is inspired by an Anthropologie design and incorporates the draped neckline style that we're starting to see pop up a lot in RTW. It has faux layers incorporated to give a layered look without the bulk. I love the neckline on this one--I like the idea of making up the body of the shirt in a French Terry and then using lighterweight knits for the layered element.
HotPatterns - Layer Cake tee

(Psst...a little bird told me that the Curvy Sewing Collective will be running a giveaway for this pattern, starting tomorrow (Saturday) morning.)

Paprika Patterns: Opal Cardigan

Lisa from Paprika Patterns is back with another practical-basic-with-a-twist pattern. This time, it's an open-front cardigan pattern with three different length options. You know those coatigans that have been back in style for the past year-ish? Here's your pattern for one.

Paprika Patterns - Opal Cardigan
StyleArc: Beth Pants

According to StyleArc, the Beth stretch woven pants are essentially an update on StyleArc's popular Barb woven stretch pant with a few more design details. This one might be worth picking up if you don't already have the Barb in your pattern stash.

StyleArc - Beth pant

Final Thoughts


So this was a pretty nice little group of patterns this week, wasn't it? Will any of these be going into your pattern stash?

Also, if you've got recommendations/suggestions for London, please leave them. Obviously, I'll be hitting Shaukut and window shopping at Liberty of London, but I'd love to hear what your favorite fabrics stores are there. I will be accompanying DH to not one but two Premiere League Football matches while we're there, so I've got some leverage for fabric-related activities. ;)

22 comments:

  1. All the museums in London are free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to London in April so we'll definitely have to chat about your trip once you return.

    I bought the popover Grainline pattern even though I didn't have much luck with fitting the Archer last year. I figured I should give it another try. Nope. Still as ill-fitted as ever. However, I will use the pattern pieces and instructions for other shirt patterns.

    I love the Barb pants with all my heart and will buy the Beth as soon as the PDF is available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the instructions were good?

      I haven't tried the Barbs yet, but I've had really good luck with other StyleArc pant patterns.

      Delete
  3. I am very interested in the last three patterns you featured. I had received the info on the HP and I already planned to order. I had my finger on the trigger for the Beth pant but I have never ordered from Style Arc and was unsure about their sizing but I am intrigued by their bengaline. I had not seen the cardigan before. I might already have a similar one in stash so am going to search through it first before putting in an order for it. I'm sure I likely have something similar in my Burda magazine collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've generally found StyleArc to run pretty true to size.

      Delete
  4. I am very interested in the last three patterns you featured. I had received the info on the HP and I already planned to order. I had my finger on the trigger for the Beth pant but I have never ordered from Style Arc and was unsure about their sizing but I am intrigued by their bengaline. I had not seen the cardigan before. I might already have a similar one in stash so am going to search through it first before putting in an order for it. I'm sure I likely have something similar in my Burda magazine collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not too much interest here either, but I am beginning to think that a pair of Style Arc pants might be my next purchase. Just like the other commenter mentioned I don't know if I should follow the measurements to order the pattern. Is it true they run a size larger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use the size chart for StyleArc. I've occasionally run into a top that runs large or small, but the pants I've tried have been true to the size chart.

      Delete
  6. Karen Ball, who writes a sewing and knitting blog at didyoumakethat.com mentions the Oxford St. John Lewis. She also posted this list, which does have a few London shops.
    http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/fashion-blog/2013/jun/11/top-ten-fabric-shops-uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. and there´s an exibit at Kensington Palace with some of Diana´s dresses, opening this week or next.
    I ´ll be going to London in april!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For London, DO NOT spend all your cash at the Berwick Street shops - they're pretty but you can often get the exact same fabrics for like a quarter of the price at Goldhawk Road or Walthamstow Market (on Saturdays but the shops along the street are open most days. Goldhawk Road shops are mostly closed Sundays). Also be sure to go to MacCulloch & Wallis for haberdashery - they moved last year to a new premesis (so they're NOT at Dering St anymore). And, err, cry at the prices we pay for zippers here. 😥

    I've been ill so I've been bad at promoting it, but I think you missed my Tessellate Tee pattern & Add On Pack that was released at the very end of January. I just hope I can recover to actually take photos of my gajillion samples before the issue goes off sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know you've got that post somewhere on fabric shopping in London. I intend to dig that up before we cross the pond.

      Delete
    2. I just checked out the Tessellated Tee and add-on. I think the add-on really adds a lot to the pattern. I'm outside your size range, but the tee is really nice.

      Delete
  9. Stuff London - come to Scotland, we're much prettier !! And you can stay with me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday! I had the pleasure of spending one day in Edinburgh ~15 years ago, and I'd love to return to your lovely country some day.

      Delete
  10. re London ...top tip ..Trip tp top of the shard is £25 ech BUT the SKY GArdenis free ( itsthe walkie talkie building . Just google skygarden and you'll see...You haveto book ahead and know the names of all your companions and provide ID on entry. nly a limited number of free tickets re released every Monday afternoon 3 weks in advace and they go quickly so keep an eye out . Its all described on Trip Advisor. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. re London ...top tip ..Trip tp top of the shard is £25 ech BUT the SKY GArdenis free ( itsthe walkie talkie building . Just google skygarden and you'll see...You haveto book ahead and know the names of all your companions and provide ID on entry. nly a limited number of free tickets re released every Monday afternoon 3 weks in advace and they go quickly so keep an eye out . Its all described on Trip Advisor. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous! Thanks for taking the time to put this together, can’t wait to look through these clothing patterns and find a summer project or two.

    ReplyDelete