Friday, January 30, 2015

This Week in Patterns (30-Jan-2015)

We only had two new patterns released this week, but IMO, they were pretty good ones. Both are long-sleeved knit tops--the type of tops that are staples in my fall and winter wardrobes.

Paprika Patterns - Jasper sweater and dress

*Drumroll* Okay, so this is the pattern that I tested that I've been hinting about for the past two months. If you're a regular reader of my blog, I'm sure that you'll be shocked to hear that I jumped at the chance to test an upscale hoodie pattern with pockets back when Lisa put out a call for testers a few months ago.

Paprika Patterns Jasper Sweater and Dress

There's a hoodie option, a tabbed collar option, and you can mix and match the sweater or dress lengths with either collar option.

Paprika Patterns Jasper Sweater and Dress
For my test version, I made up the hooded sweater (surprise, surprise). The test version did have a few fit issues, but nothing so severe that it's kept me from wearing my sweater/sweatshirt as a wearable muslin. It's amazingly comfortable and cozy. What's very encouraging to me, is that in her email to her testers, Lisa has said that she fixed every single issue that I can recall running into, and improving a few things that I hadn't necessarily thought of as "issues" but that should make for a better, more wearable garment. I did receive a free copy of the final pattern, and I'll be making that version up going forward. (I'd dive right into it now, but I really need pants, so the Jasper will have to wait a project or two.) When I make up the final version, I'll blog a side-by-side comparison between that version and the test version, which should be interesting for anyone who wants to see how patterns are tweaked/refined between versions. I'm also planning to make up at least one of each of the sweater views, and possibly one of the dress views.

StyleArc - Elita Designer top

StyleArc did something new this month--they released a single pattern that wasn't tied to a 1st-of-the-month or mid-month release, AND they released it both as a printed pattern and a PDF at the same time. On top of that, they're running a 20% off PDF pattern discount through the end of the month, so the price of the new pattern is just over $8 (USD) if you purchase the PDF version with the discount code. So what's the new pattern?

Elita designer top

StyleArc - Elita designer top

I like this top a lot better than anything StyleArc had in their main release for January. I think that the neckline is a fun detail, and with the ties, the crossover front can be kept from opening up over a large bust. Anne (Clothing Engineer) already made this up in a silk jersey, and it looks very cute on her pear-shaped figure. She expressed some concerns about it possibly not being flattering on a larger bust, but in seeing where the drape falls, I'm not super-concerned myself. My bust is low, and I think that the drape will serve to draw the eye up, but I guess we'll see, won't we? For $8, I figured that this was a pretty low-risk indie purchase to create a top that I could see myself wearing a lot if I like it.

Final Thoughts

So, not many patterns released this week, but I own both of them--having received the Jasper as a freebie/thank you for testing, and having purchased the StyleArc with the 20% off promo. Did either of these grab you?

We're still waiting on the first spring release from Butterick, which I'd think we'll be seeing soon.

17 comments:

  1. As I was poised to harass --err-- stalk --err-- ASK you about this week's post...I refreshed my feed and there it was! Hooray! haha!

    I saw the first version with the hood but am IN LOVE with the new version! I bought the Jade skirt as soon as I saw it but haven't made it up yet. I think that tunic will be perfection for the upcoming spring.

    The SA pattern did not grab me at all. I literally whined to my husband about it. Whined. Like a toddler. But of course, love Anne's. Love. And the color is amazing on her.

    I've been liking Butterick more so I'm looking forward to their release. C'mon February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to make both the hooded and collared versions from the "final" pattern. I'm looking forward to having a few more of these in my wardrobe rotation.

      Re: Anne's version--I can't believe that she said that red wasn't one of her colors--she looks AMAZING in that bright red!

      Delete
  2. I really like that Jasper. Will wait to see what yours looks like before I take the plunge and buy it. Also looking forward to what the Style Arc top will look like. I can not wrap my head around adding volume to my already large chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she's fixed the few fit issues that most of us had as she said she did, then I think people will love the Jasper.

      I just don't think that the StyleArc is going to add that much volume to a full chest. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I just see it acting more like a cowl neckline.

      Delete
  3. The Jasper is cute and I'd love to see yours, but I'm not a fan of pullovers personally. Messes with my hair. Hah. Is the new SA a pullover too? I can't tell how it stays together at the neck.

    Again, thanks for doing these round-ups. It's my Friday guilty pleasure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not normally, either, but I've been wearing this one as a regular sweater, so I put it on before I do my hair in the morning. And thank you!

      Delete
  4. And I just realized that I said Friday and commented on Saturday. Hehehe. I look at your posts on Fridays on my phone at work but it's such a PITA to comment with that, that I wait until Saturdays to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That hoodie with the buttons is a cute one, but the SA top looks way too fussy for my taste. I like to keep it simple and comfortable, with no chance of boob peekage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's a chance of boob peekage, wearing a cami under things doesn't really bother me. *But* I'm sure that we will find out as people make it up--I know that Anne had some issues with that.

      Delete
  6. Love the look of both of them but they are both too high in the neckline for me. I need a low neckline otherwise I seem to look all chest (which I know I am but I find a lower neckline helps if only an illusion.)

    Really looking forward to seeing your hoodie. That pattern really looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel that way, but I feel now like I can do a higher neckline as long as there's something to draw the eye up and break up the "uniboob" effect.

      Delete
  7. I really like the Jasper pattern. Thanks for the weekly roundups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really interested to see your version(s) of the paprika hoodie. I saw another tester version as a dress and really love it. It looks perfect to wear with leggings and boots and the shorter version looks like a more chic version of a hoodie. Both super great for cold weather!

    Also- I just wanted to let you know that these posts are my favorites and I appreciate how much time you put into them. I would never know about some patterns if it wasn't for you! I also purchased the cascade duffel!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I saw that Jasper--the purple sweater dress. It was really cute! The fit problems that I encountered had largely to do with a too-large armhole and sleeve (and that was going by my high bust measurement as a starting point). This is supposed to be corrected in the final version--I guess many of us ran into it.

      Delete
  9. I love your pattern round ups! Thank you for all the work you put into for them!

    Like others, I really look forward to seeing the Jasper. But. I could have sworn you said you were testing pants?

    I meant to say something last week on those new patterns, but I also like the Grainline jacket. I really need a spring jacket over a winter coat though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tested the never-released plus sized version SBCC Manhattan cigarette pants last year, so that might be what you're thinking of.

      Delete